Tuesday 22 July 2008

I love school holidays!

I have always been one of those mums who love having the kids around, sometimes, when I see other mums during the school holidays and they say the kids are driving them mad and they'll be glad when they're back at school, I have never been able to agree with them. Of course, my kids DO drive me mad sometimes, but I love being at home, and I love being at home with them.

Having the shop means a bit of a juggling act though, since I usually work in the shop 6 days a week, and Tim is usually out measuring for or fitting the curtains and blinds that we sell, school holidays can pose a bit of a problem, but we have found a way round it - the boys will go to the Holiday club run by our local Surestart centre from 10am-3pm on Mondays and Fridays, Wednesdays they have to come to the shop for the day, and Tuesdays and Thursdays I get to be at home with them while Tim mans the shop, and that is fine by me.

Here is a picture taken this morning of our kitchen table (if you can see the table underneath all the glue, stickers, sequins etc) They were busy making some cards for a special nana who is going into hospital soon (close your eyes mum). Georgia's card has so many stickers on it, it will be a wonder if it stands up, but it is her first experience of crafting, and she seemed to really enjoy it.
After all that crafting, it was time for lunch, and what else could we have but toasted sandwiches? - I love my Breville with a passion, I know its a bit 70's but I think they are great. Callum had ham and cheese, Georgia and Nathaniel had plain old cheese, and me being the sophisticated gal that I am had cherry tomato and goats cheese. (I had thought about finely slicing some red onion in there too, but knew that Tim wouldn't thank me if I greeted him at 4.30pm with onion breath!)
The next photo was the cause of much giggling by the boys at the fact that I was taking a photo of their dinner (you could see they were thinking 'wierdo') - 'Hey, get used to it' I said.

In his book 'Jamie's Dinners' Jamie Oliver devotes a whole 2 pages to the breville and some of his suggestions sound lovely, I particularly like the sound of mozarella, tomato and pesto - I think I will definitely have to give that one a try.

Finally, I can show you the items I made for the 'cupcake and tea' swap organised by Rachael Rabbit - I was told that my partners favourite colour was lime green, so I made this sign to hang in her kitchen - a little stuffed heart (cupcake fabric on one side and lime green on the other), a knitted cupcake and some cupcases - I hope she likes them - Being from Yorkshire, the only tea I could send was of course some 'Yorkshire Tea!' - These are all now parcelled up and on their way to Australia.

Hope you are all enjoying your time today, whether it is at home, or at work - Natalie x

16 comments:

Claire said...

You have gorgeous children! Cards are always better when the children have made them.....nans will agree...lol! Sounds like you have the hols all sorted, the boys will love going to summer camp and you have two days with them for lots of fun! What a great swap, I really like the sign that you have made, do you make them to sell, I can just see one in my kitchen....do you still have the fabric that I like, honestly I havent forgotten about it, just were not at the stage of accessories yet....boo....! claire xx

julia said...

We're totally addicted to toasted sarnies in this house too!
The hols have just started in this house and how nice it is to still be in pj's at 1pm!
Julia x

Pixiedust said...

The swap stuff looks fab, as do the toasties. Must get my sandwich toaster out, its making me feel hungry.

pink-petal-designs said...

Lovely pics, looks like you are all enjoying the holidays. Its our last day at school today, cant wait. I LOVE that sign you have made for the swap !!
Sarah x

quiltdude said...

I love the holidays too, long, lazy days with my girls.
Cheese toasties are my favourite, wish I still had a breville, we use the grilling machine to make ours, almost the same but the edges aren't sealed.
Love the sign you've made for the swap.

saraeden said...

I love the holidays too and yep mine drive me mad as well but i do love having them at home !!

love the cakey stuff .. very cute !!

periwinkle said...

you are making me all hungry now- i haven't had a toastie for ages
lisa x

Jennie said...

Ohh I would like a sandwich toaster again. I miss having one.
Yorkshire tea.. lovely.
The kids look like they are having a great time!

I have left an award for you over on my blog!

Just Original said...

Hi Natalie,

I have to say I am one of those mum's that can not wait for the summer holidays to end all ready.

I love toasted sandwiches, cheese & beans are the best but they are very very hot for ages.

Have a good rest of holidays, we might see you in Filey over the holidays.

Vanessa x

Country Bliss said...

I've always liked the school holidays, probably because I worked at school so it meant I was on holiday too! But it is great to have them at home. Your cupcake swap looks great and yummy toasted sandwiches, that's todays lunch sorted!
Yvonne

Gem said...

Hi Natalie,
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I had been trying to teach myself to crochet for ages but suddenly it all just clicked and now I can't stop! I used the Happy Hooker and it was really useful (although American terms are different from English ones!) One thing that made a difference for me was using nice wool (rather than acrylic) and the right size hook for the wool. It sounds a bit obvious I know, but I had been struggling with a 2.00 mm hook and when I changed to a 4.00 hook it suddenly became a lot easier!!!

Miss sew n sew said...

Love those cupcake goodies youve made! There's a award for you to collect on my blog should be on there tommorrow!! Enjoy the summer holidays I love the pic of your children getting creative,
Sarah

Racheal Miles said...

Hi, I have an award for you over at my blog.

Racheal x

Louise said...

Thats a lovely cupcake and tea swap, I would be very thrilled to receive that parcel through the post. I can agree with you about toasted sandwiches, I love them. I used to have a sandwich maker when we first made up home, but now I have those bags you can put straight in the toaster. They look like plastic but of course they don't melt along with the cheese! Enjoy the holidays. x

Unknown said...

Fabulous cupcake goodies ;-)

Carolyn said...

Dropping by to say hello.
You have a lovely family, hope you all have a wonderful summer :-)
Ive added you to my blog list if its ok with you